Visit our sponsors
Mark your calendar with these dates and look forward to an exciting year! Members should plan to attend. Meetings are held at the County Office building on Expo Drive unless noted elsewhere. Public and guests are more than welcome to attend our events unless otherwise noted. MCLA is working to protect and enhance the quality of area lakes and watersheds for the benefit of all in our community.
Next MCLA meeting is the Annual Banquet
Date: Thursday, October 13, 2023 6:00pm
Hosted by the Larrabee Sportsman’s Club on Harpt’s Lake
16306 Harpt Lake Rd, Mishicot, WI
Cost is $20 in advance or $25 at the door. Guest speaker is Eric Olson from Wisconsin Lakes, formerly known as Wisconsin Association of Lakes. Election of officers will take place. Food, 50/50 raffle, and door prizes.
2023 Meeting Schedule:
- 4/27/23 | meeting minutes
- Jason Breeggemann, WDNR fisheries biologist, presented data from 2022 fish surveys and discussed DNR plans for lakes. View the Presentation by Jason Breeggemann
- 6/22/23 | meeting minutes
- Presentation by Jake Divine, Invasive Species Coordinator for Glacierland RC&D.
- 8/24/23 | meeting minutes
- Presentation by David Wetenkamp and Eric Oppermann of Manitowoc County Soil and Water.
- 10/13/2023 | Annual Banquet & Meeting Hosted by Larrabee Sportsmen Club
- Harpt’s Lake. 6:00pm Cocktail Hour, 7:00pm Dinner.
- 11/30/23 | General membership meeting 6:30pm
- Public invited! Room 300, Manitowoc County Soil and Water Building, 4319 Expo Drive, Manitowoc
- Guest Speaker TBA
2022 Meeting Archive:
Annual banquet, Guest Speaker Jerry Englebert, Pier & Waterfront Solutions, LLC
- 9/1/2022 General membership meeting | meeting minutes
Presentation: A Review of Shoreline Regulations
Pete Tarnowski – County Planning and Park Manager, and Reed Gaedtke – County Code Administrator, will review Shoreland regulations covering some history of shoreland regulation, setback requirements, impervious surface and filling and grading regulations. They are hoping to provide the audience with some clarity and information on what’s required for permitting. They will entertain some general questions but they will not be taking site specific questions pertaining to any individual’s projects. Individuals may contact their office with specifics about projects.
Read the Valders Journal Article about this presentation.
Call (920) 775-4431 to subscribe to the Valders Journal. Serving the community since 1940. Single copies on sale at Cenex and Weber’s BP in Valders and M&K Quick Stop in St. Nazianz. Mailed every Wednesday.
- 6/30/2022 General membership meeting | meeting minutes
Presentation: Carstens Lake Water Quality Improvement Project
Proposed Sedimentation and Treatment Basin with Sorption Technology
Jim Kettler, Director of Projects, Lakeshore Natural Resource Partnership
Sarah Majerus, Environmental Scientist, Stantec
Lakeshore Natural Resource Partnership (LNRP) and partners at Stantec and the UW–Stevens Point are working on a design for water quality treatment along Pine Creek, a direct tributary to Carstens Lake. The project was initiated as a result of a 3-year study by MCLA (2012-2014), which identified high levels of phosphorus (>40 ppb) in Carstens Lake. The subsequent 2018 Carstens Lake Comprehensive Management Plan recommends offline structures adjacent to Pine Creek for water quality treatment to mitigate phosphorus loading in Carstens Lake, and was the catalyst for this project. Read more
- 5/18/2022 Executive Committee meeting | meeting minutes
- 4/28/2022 General membership meeting | meeting minutes
- 2/03/2022 Executive Committee meeting | meeting minutes
- 9/24/2021 | meeting minutes
Annual banquet, awards presentations and elections of officers.
- 6/24/2021 | meeting minutes
This will be the first meeting for MCLA since 2020 when COVID-19 restrictions were in place and we have a lot of catching up to do! We’ll have an update on Lake Projects from this past year, and the MCLA business meeting will follow. If you wish to come early at 5:00 pm there may be pontoon rides available to tour Cedar Lake. Public and guests are encouraged to attend!
Thomas Koeppen, a Kayak instructor, and his team with the “Kayak Connection Program” will discuss the different types of Kayaks, their purpose, types of paddles, strokes and equipment and demonstrate safety and paddle techniques. If you are considering purchasing a Kayak or want to improve your skills this program is for you.
Aquatic Invasive Species Program 2021:
Jake Divine from Glacierland RC&D, the new AIS coordinator will update us on this year’s boat inspection program and AIS activities.
– – – –
2020 Meeting Archive:
- 2/27/2020 | meeting minutes
- Ice Fishing Manitowoc County Lakes: Clint Ward will discuss the latest trend in technology and ice fishing methods that have occurred in recent years. A life long resident of Manitowoc County and avid fisherman, he will discuss ice fishing opportunities on area lakes.
- Your Food Choices and Water Quality: Representatives from SLO Farmers Co-op, a producer marketing cooperative in northeastern Wisconsin, will speak on farm practices that protect water quality and reduce carbon emissions. Helping to connect the dots with the positive environmental impact of creating a micro-market for local farm products.
- Conservation Congress: Larry Bonde, currently state Chairman of the Conservation Congress, will talk about the role the Congress plays in advising DNR and the Natural Resource Board on Fish & Game laws and other conservation issues. He will also discuss proposals or up-coming questions on the Public Hearings scheduled for April and held in every County of the State.
- 4/23/2020 [cancelled]
- 6/25/2020 [cancelled]
- 8/27/2020 [cancelled]
- October Banquet [cancelled]
- 12/3/2020 [cancelled]
Meetings & Speaker Series Archive: