You are viewing our mobile site – view full site.
Visit our sponsors
Gass Lake News
Click on the maps to enlarge. Bathymetric Map Courtesy of Wisconsin DNR. Watershed map courtesy of Manitowoc County Soil and Water Conservation Department. New! Zoom in even closer with this new interactive watershed mapping tool.
Directions: Gass Lake Road, Town of Newton. Take Highway 42 South from Manitowoc approximately 1 mile, turn right on Gass Lake Road and travel .75 miles to driveway on the right.
About Gass Lake
- 2021 Condition: Poor/Eutrophic read more
A best bet in Manitowoc County for shore fishing for panfish! —The Wisconsin Fishing Report Spring 2017
- Features: No shoreline development. Blacktopped access road and parking area. Parking barriers and a gate over the entrance road have been installed. Combination fishing and launching port-a-pier with a small picnic area containing a table and grill. Parking space is available for 8 car/trailer units. No restrooms, no lighting, no potable water.
- Boat Ramp: Paved, 7% slope, <3 ft launch depth, boarding dock.
- Launch Fee: The daily fee is $5 and the seasonal fee is $20.
- ADA Accessibility Features: Yes. The boarding dock, and route of travel to it, is ADA accessible.
- Restrictions: Electric motors only. Town of Newton Ordinance | Wisconsin boating handbook
- Note: The access is barricaded during the winter because of the steep access road.
- Manitowoc County Map and Photos:
- Surface area: 6.5 acres
- Shorelength: .5 mi
- Depth: Max 24′, Mean: 12′
- Bottom: 0% sand, 5% gravel, 0% rock, 95% muck
- Lake Type: Small drainage. What does this mean?
- Lat/Long: 44.05351650, -87.73057850
Aquatic Invasive Species Threats
- Verified: Curly-Leaf Pondweed (2016).
- Fish present: Best known for largemouth bass, but northern pike and panfish including bluegill, perch and crappies are also found here.
- Open All Year
- Panfish: Daily bag limit 25. No min length.
- Catfish: Daily bag limit 10. No min length.
- Open May 1 – March 6:
- Largemouth/smallmouth bass: 14″ Limit 5.
- Northern Pike: 26″ Limit 2.
- Walleye: 15″ Limit 5.
- Motor Trolling is allowed with up to 3 hooks, baits, or lures, per angler.
- View Gass Lake fishing regulations on DNR website and familiarize yourself with Wisconsin fishing: WDNR Hook & Line Guide
- Consumption Advisory: General Manitowoc County/Mercury. Click here.
Stocking and DNR Surveys
- No DNR surveys available
|DNR Fish Stocking Data|
|Year||Species||Strain||Age Class||Number Stocked||Average Length (inches)|
|2003||LARGEMOUTH BASS||UNSPECIFIED||SMALL FINGERLING||150||2.20|
|2002||LARGEMOUTH BASS||UNSPECIFIED||LARGE FINGERLING||88||5.00|
|2001||LARGEMOUTH BASS||UNSPECIFIED||LARGE FINGERLING||300||1.30|
|View more history|
Condition: POOR (2021) Source
- 5-Year Average Trophic State: 64/Eutrophic
- Secchi Disk: Average summer reading 3.5 ft. (SE Georegion average 7.1 ft.)
Summer (July/Aug) water was reported as MURKY and GREEN.
Average summer Chlorophyll 73 µg/l (SE Georegion average 20.9 µg/l).
Average summer Total Phosphorus 105 µg/l.
May experience noticeable algae blooms.
- Trophic State Index (TSI): 67/Eutrophic. What does this mean?
This TSI usually suggests blue-green algae become dominant and algal scums are possible, extensive plant overgrowth problems possible.
We need lake volunteers. Learn more.